High noon, February 8, 1882, the town of DeLand, originally known as Persimmon Hollow, was incorporated by a unanimous vote of its 23 townspeople. Lead by the visionary, Henry DeLand, a city was carved from pine woods and palmetto scrub. Tourists were attracted to DeLand by the warm weather. They were encouraged by Henry DeLand and other land speculators to come for a visit, then perhaps stay and buy a homestead nearby.
The painting above, “Pioneers at the Parceland,” is a mural designed from an 1890 photograph by the artist Perigo. You will find it on the DeLand Historic Mural Walk at Rich and Woodland in Pioneer Park. Travelers are depicted waiting at the train depot to take a ride to Cabbage Bluff for their steamship ride back north or to visit friends and relatives in the big city of Jacksonville. Some of the people are carrying packages of oranges, which were often used to promote the area.
In 1889, the centennial of President George Washington’s inauguration was celebrated, and Americans looked for additional ways to recognize their past. Out of the renewed interest in United States history, numerous patriotic and preservation societies were founded. Four Washington, DC women founded the first Daughters of the American Revolution chapter on October 11, 1890.
This linage-based membership service organization for women who are directly descended from a person involved in United States’ independence was incorporated by congressional charter in 1896.
On January 15, 1910 a group of eleven enthusiastic DeLand women met at the home of Helen Gaulden, and organized the Colonel Arthur Erwin Chapter. The chapter was named for Mrs. Gaulden’s Revolutionary War ancestor, Colonel Erwin.
The Colonel Arthur Erwin Chapter is a strong and viable chapter, participating in local, state, and national goals and ideal of the NSDAR.
For more information, contact:
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Last Updated on 1/8/15